Tuesday, June 22, 2010

In Music: Sia - We Are Born Album Review


This is Sia's fifth studio album that was just released today.  Let me start by saying that Sia is probably my favorite artist ever, which is saying a lot coming from me.  The best way I can review this album is to say it's not as great as I wish it was, but not as bad as I thought it would be.  Sia had released a few tracks a few months ago and I was underwhelmed.  The whole album however, is actually fairly good.  I'm surprised by the songs that are becoming my favorites. They're not the huge vocal ballads like "Breathe Me" or "Soon We'll Be Found" but more uptempo 80's reminiscent tracks.  So even though I'm disappointed by some of the songs, there are a few hidden gems and there's no denying the genius that is Sia.  I have a feeling that after listening a few more times, I may grow to love this album.  Listen to "Be Good to Me," my favorite track, below and click "read more" for a full review of each song.

 

★★★★☆




1.  The Fight - This one surprised me, right out the gate I didn't really care for it, but 30 seconds in, I felt myself tapping my feet and wiggling in my office chair.  I've put this one on repeat a few times now! ★★★★★

2.  Clap Your Hands - This song is fun and her voice is impeccable as always.  You'll find yourself moving as soon as it hits the chorus, I promise.  ★★★★☆

3.  Stop Trying - By far this is my least favorite track on the album.  It's not completely horrible, but I skip right over it as soon as I hear it. ★★☆☆☆

4.  You've Changed - This is the first song I heard when Sia released a few clips months before the release.  It's reminiscent of "Buttons" but more polished. ★★★★☆

5.  Be Good To Me - My absolute favorite of the album! Slow and a bit jazzy, her voice conveys the emotions of the lyrics perfectly.  I love this song. ★★★★★

6.  Bring Night - I can see this song being a background track to a movie or t.v. show or something, but it's not really something I would listen to over and over. ★★★☆☆

7.  Hurting Me Now - Again, not a song I would listen to over and over, but it's not a bad song, and I have a feeling this may be one that I don't like at first, but will love later.  ★★★☆☆

8.  Never Gonna Leave Me - I really like this song.  I think the arrangement is really clever and the tempo makes the song move really well. ★★★★☆

9.  Cloud - This song may be a sleeper too, I don't really like it right now because it feels generic, but if I know Sia, I may find something amazing in it later. ★★☆☆☆

10.  I'm In Here - This song is really great.  Haunting and classic Sia.  Another one I could listen to over and over. ★★★★★

11.  The Co-Dependant - This is one of those just fun songs that you can hear every once in awhile.  Not anything special, but not anything awful. ★★★☆☆

12.  Big Girl Little Girl - This song actually reminds me of Heart for some reason.  Again, I think I may end up really liking this one someday. ★★★☆☆

13.  Oh Father - This is a Madonna cover, and I'm actually surprised because it sounds like Sia wrote it and her voice fits it perfectly. ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment