Thursday, September 9, 2010

In Film: Shutter Island


Either this movie was so completely smart and over my head or I'm a fairly intellectual person and it was just too far fetched.  I think that Scorsese had a bout of insanity himself and channelled M. Night Shyamalan during the filming of this movie. "Twist!"  I'm not going to give anything away (I probably couldn't even if I tried!).  At the end of this movie, all I could think of was Peter Griffin's review of "The Godfather."  And like that poignant review, this movie too, "Insists upon itself."

The Good:  I'm not a fan of Leo DiCaprio, but he actually did an amazing acting job.  Also, there was quite a bit of suspense involved which kept me intrigued (I only played with my iPhone once!).

The Bad:  It seemed to me that the story had a lot of holes in it, whether it was purposeful or not.

The Ugly:  The twists! Can't there be suspenseful movies now without some off-the wall twist at the end, then a reshowing of all the clues that were in the movie that you missed to make you feel like an idiot?

Synopsis:  If you're a die-hard Scorsese fan or really like psychological thrillers, rent it.  Don't waste the money on buying though.

★★☆☆☆

1 comment: